Research Shows Benefits of Integrative Medicine Therapies
Many research studies, published in respected medical journals, have studied the effectiveness of integrative medicine modalities in treating a variety of conditions. Researchers have looked at acupuncture, yoga, myofascial release, meditation, music therapy and other therapies and studied how they can be used to treat conditions such as fibromyalgia, lymphedema, headaches, depression, anxiety and chronic pain, among others.
Some of these studies, along with their PubMed links, are listed below:
- Cassileth BR, Van Zee KJ, Yeung KS, Coleton MI, Cohen S, Chan YH, Vickers AJ, Sjoberg DD, Hudis CA. Acupuncture in the treatment of upper-limb lymphedema: results of a pilot study. Cancer. 2013 Jul 1; 119(13):2455-61. PubMed PMID: 23576267.
- Lawenda BD, Vicini FA. Acupuncture: Could an ancient therapy be the latest advance in the treatment of lymphedema? Cancer. 2013 Jul 1; 119(13):2362-5. PubMed PMID: 23576216.
- Xiang-Zhu Chen, Yun-Kuan Yang, Jie Yang, et al. Acupuncture Deqi Intensity and Propagated Sensation along Channels May, Respectively, Differ due to Different Body Positions of Subjects. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2013, Article ID 897048.
- MacPherson H, Richmond S, Bland M, Brealey S, Gabe R, Hopton A, Keding A, Lansdown H, Perren S, Sculpher M, Spackman E, Torgerson D, Watt I. Acupuncture and counselling for depression in primary care: a randomised controlled trial. PLoS Med. 2013; 10(9):e1001518. PubMed PMID: 24086114.
- Plank S, Goodard J. The effectiveness of acupuncture for chronic daily headache: an outcomes study. Mil Med. 2009 Dec; 174(12):1276-81. PubMed PMID: 20055068.
- Vickers AJ, Cronin AM, Maschino AC, Lewith G, MacPherson H, Foster NE, Sherman KJ, Witt CM, Linde K; Acupuncture Trialists' Collaboration. Acupuncture for chronic pain: individual patient data meta-analysis. Arch Intern Med. 2012 Oct 22; 172(19):1444-53. PubMed PMID: 22965186.
- Keefer L, Blanchard EB. The effects of relaxation response meditation on the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome: results of a controlled treatment study. Behav Res Ther. 2001 Jul; 39(7):801-11. PubMed PMID: 11419611.
- Galvin JA, Benson H, Deckro GR, Fricchione GL, Dusek JA. The relaxation response: reducing stress and improving cognition in healthy aging adults. Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2006 Aug; 12(3):186-91. PubMed PMID: 16835029.
- Dusek JA, Hibberd PL, Buczynski B, Chang BH, Dusek KC, Johnston JM, Wohlhueter AL, Benson H, Zusman RM. Stress management versus lifestyle modification on systolic hypertension and medication elimination: a randomized trial. J Altern Complement Med. 2008 Mar; 14(2):129-38. PubMed PMID: 18315510.
- Schaffer SD, Yucha CB. Relaxation & pain management: the relaxation response can play a role in managing chronic and acute pain. Am J Nurs. 2004 Aug; 104(8):75-6, 78-9, 81-2. PubMed PMID: 15300063.
- Dusek JA, Otu HH, Wohlhueter AL, Bhasin M, Zerbini LF, Joseph MG, Benson H, Libermann TA. Genomic counter-stress changes induced by the relaxation response. PLoS One. 2008 Jul 2; 3(7):e2576. PubMed PMID: 18596974.
- Lazar SW, Bush G, Gollub RL, Fricchione GL, Khalsa G, Benson H. Functional brain mapping of the relaxation response and meditation. Neuroreport. 2000 May 15; 11(7):1581-5. PubMed PMID: 10841380.
- Dunlop, Julie. Meditation, Stress-Relief and Well-Being. Radiologic Technology. May/June 2015; 86 (5): 535-555
- Bradley Palmer J, Lane D, Mayo D, et al. Effects of music therapy on anesthesia requirements and anxiety in women undergoing ambulatory breast surgery for cancer diagnosis and treatment: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2015 Aug 17 pii: JCO.2014.59.6049 PubMed PMID: 26282640
- Gutgsell KJ, Schluchter M, Margevicus S, et al. Music therapy reduces pain in palliative care patients: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, 2013 May ; 45 (5): 822-31. PubMed PMID: 23107609
- Lane D. The effect of a single music therapy session on hospitalized children as measured by salivary immunoglobulin A, speech pause time, and a patient opinion likert scale. Pediatric Research, 1991: 29 (4), 2:11A
- Rodgers-Melnick, Samuel; Kulas Foundation. The Effects of a Single Music Therapy Session on the Pain of Adult Patients with Sickle Cell Disease: A Mixed Methods Study. In: ClinicalTrials.gov [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): National Library of Medicine (US). 2015. NLM Identifier: NCT02270060
- Rodgers-Melnick, Samuel; Kulas Foundation. Music Therapy in Sickle Cell Transition Study In: ClinicalTrials.gov [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): National Library of Medicine (US). 2015. NLM Identifier: NCT02466555
Myofascial Release Studies
General Integrative Medicine
- Denise M. Kresevic, RN, PhD; Jennifer E. Denton, RN, MN; Barbara Heath, RN, MSN; and Norquetta Thompson. Enhancing patient satisfaction through the use of complementary therapies. Fed Pract. 2014 March; 31(3): 24-30.
- Samuelson M, Foret M, Baim M, Lerner J, Fricchione G, Benson H, Dusek J, Yeung A. Exploring the effectiveness of a comprehensive mind-body intervention for medical symptom relief. J Altern Complement Med. 2010 Feb; 16(2):187-92. PubMed PMID: 20180692.
- Alfred A, Ried K. Quality of life, coping strategies and support needs of women seeking Traditional Chinese Medicine for infertility and viable pregnancy in Australia: a mixed methods approach. BMC Women's Health 2013, 13:17.
- Rochester L, Hetherington V, Jones D, Nieuwboer A, Willems AM, Kwakkel G, Van Wegen E. The effect of external rhythmic cues (auditory and visual) on walking during a functional task in homes of people with Parkinson's disease. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2005 May; 86(5):999-1006. PubMed PMID: 15895348.
Cancer Treatment Research
- Bower JE. Treating cancer-related fatigue: the search for interventions that target those most in need. J Clin Oncol. 2012 Dec 20; 30(36):4449-50. PubMed PMID: 23109702.
- Beard C, Stason WB, Wang Q, Manola J, Dean-Clower E, Dusek JA, Decristofaro S, Webster A, Doherty-Gilman AM, Rosenthal DS, Benson H. Effects of complementary therapies on clinical outcomes in patients being treated with radiation therapy for prostate cancer. Cancer. 2011 Jan 1; 117(1):96-102. PubMed PMID: 20803609.
- Molassiotis A, Bardy J, Finnegan-John J, Mackereth P, Ryder DW, Filshie J, Ream E, Richardson A. Acupuncture for cancer-related fatigue in patients with breast cancer: a pragmatic randomized controlled trial. J Clin Oncol. 2012 Dec 20; 30(36):4470-6. PubMed PMID: 23109700.