Mindfulness Guidance and Training Available Through University Hospitals Connor Integrative Health Network
UH Connor Integrative Health Network offers mindfulness as part of its meditation program. Mindfulness is a way of paying attention in the present moment, on purpose and without judgment. Through the use of formal and informal practices we can train our minds and bodies in this kind of awareness.
What Mindfulness Can Do
Recent neurobiological research has indicated that for those who practice mindfulness, there can be a positive influence on immune function and overall brain function. Research has also indicated that practicing mindfulness can result in:
- Minimized pain sensitivity
- Reduced blood pressure
- Decreased anxiety
- Increased ability to pay attention
- Increased feelings of well-being
- Increased ability to regulate emotion
Who Practices Mindfulness?
Mindfulness is being practiced in a wide variety of venues and by a broad range of people. Businesses such as Google and Proctor & Gamble have made mindfulness part of their corporate cultures, and athletes, both professional and Olympic, are using it to improve performance. School systems and colleges are instituting mindfulness programming to help students feel better, improve behavior and achieve better results academically.
Positive Feedback for Mindfulness
Participants in Mindfulness classes have found the program to be highly beneficial. A few of the positive comments from the program include:
- "I wish everyone could take this course – there would be more happiness and less stress in our world. Life is short and enjoying each moment feels very good."
- "Very interesting. I've walked away with a unique new set of skills that I can incorporate into various parts of my life."
- “The program offers a perspective for people who have practiced before and those who have not. Also a balance between the science and the mind and overall health I think was delightful and helpful."
References for Mindfulness
- In Mindfulness, a Method to Sharpen Focus and Open Minds
- The Effect of Mindfulness-Based Therapy on Anxiety and Depression
- What Does Mindfulness Meditation Do to Your Brain?
- Mindfulness Research Updates
- Future of Work: Mindfulness as a Leadership Practice
- The Mindfulness Business
How to Learn Mindfulness
UH Connor Integrative Health Network has mindfulness programs geared to individuals and groups. We provide programming that can be tailored to meet the needs of organizations, schools and businesses as well.
To learn more about mindfulness, schedule a one-on-one consultation or enroll in an eight-week class series, call 216-285-4070. If you are a UH employee you can sign up for a free class sponsored by UH Wellness.
To see our current class offerings, please click here.